The more I research fluoride, the more I know I need to reduce my exposure. For example, the book “The Fluoride Deception” provides research dating back to the 1940s has shown that fluoride negatively impacts our central nervous system, can reach the brain of a fetus, causing hyperactivity (especially in male newborns), reduced IQ, causes confusion, lassitude, and drowsiness.
Due to working in cryolite plants, exposed workers had signs of osteosclerosis, immobilizing spinal columns, malformation of knees and hips, nervous disorders, severe stomach problems, chronic skin rashes, hardening of ligaments, pulmonary fibrosis, arthritic and rheumatic afflictions.
Those exposed experienced weakened teeth, yup, the very opposite of claims, both in nonhuman animals and humans; Johns Hopkins University found that feeding rats fluoride made their teeth weaker back in 1925. Moreover, by 1937 Dr. Kaj Eli Roholm, once the world leader in fluoride research, had publications on fluoride pollution and poisoning; his work also showed that fluoride actually weakened enamel.
Because only 50% of fluoride is excreted through the kidneys, the remaining poison accumulates in bones, the pineal gland, and other tissues (do you have white spots on your teeth? Could be fluoride). Studies show that fluoride accumulation in the pineal gland led to reduced melatonin (Quicksilver is my favorite brand) production and an earlier onset of puberty. Fluoride toxicity has led to renal and signs of liver damage in Chinese children, even at “low doses.” Remember, this poison accumulates, so you don’t need a high dose to be impacted; even at low concentrations, it interferes with hydrogen bonding and inhibits numerous enzymes (Maitreyee P. Unde et al. 2018); this is a big problem for our health.
In the US, fluoride is still added to the water; for this, I use a Berkey filter to remove fluoride, bacteria, viruses, and more. Berkey also has a shower head that can reduce up to 98% of harsh chlorine, a chemical that can damage delicate skin and hair. In addition, their Easy-Replace Shower Filter Cartridges inhibit bacterial growth and reduce heavy metals, algae, scale, and sediment in your water, improving water and vapor quality.
I looked up the best-selling toothpaste on Amazon, which ended up being Crest 3D White Radiant Mint. Let’s look at some of the ingredients:
- Sodium Fluoride: read above for warnings
- Hydrated Silica: can harm the enamel and prevent the re-mineralization
- Disodium Pyrophosphate: according to a 2012 study, phosphates are hazardous; the researchers suggested that all foods containing phosphates should be labeled as dangerous to public health because accumulating phosphates in the body can cause organ calcification in people with renal failure.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: According to EWG: it is linked to cancer, neurotoxicity, organ toxicity, skin irritation, and endocrine disruption.
- Flavor: this could be any number of toxic chemicals that cause high BP, DNA mutations, infertility, tumors, and more.
- Cellulose Gum
- Sodium Hydroxide: very corrosive and can cause severe burns in all tissues, may cause organ system toxicity.
- Mica: can irritate the eyes and skin. Inhalation can cause wheezing, coughing, and shortness of breath as it irritates the mucous membranes lining the lung.
- Titanium Dioxide: According to a 2011 study: in the environment, it can cause acute toxicity to aquatic organisms; upon long-term exposure, it induces a range of sub-lethal effects. According to EQG: it may cause organ system toxicity. The International Agency for Research on Cancer designates it as a carcinogen.
- Blue 1: is derived from coal tar, was the cause of death in at least 12 instances, and is linked to ADHD. May cause organ system toxicity.
There are lots of teeth cleaning products you can purchase that are fluoride-free. On my journey to reduce and eliminate plastic products from my life, I started making my toothpaste. The good news is that it is straightforward to make, it only takes a few minutes, and it will save you a ton of money and waste production.
If making toothpaste doesn’t sound up your alley, there are clean buyable options! Banyan Botanicals make a great Ayurvedic Tooth Powder.
If you desire something a little more traditional, you can get a variety of non-toxic toothpaste on Full Script; when you make an account with me, you get 5% or more off every order!*
DIY Toothpaste Ingredients
- 4 Tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted: anti-fungal and anti-bacterial
- 3 Tbsp Natural baking soda: disinfects and whitens. Make sure it is a good quality natural baking soda (not the $0.99 orange box stuff).
- 3 Tbsp Food-grade Bentonite clay: MUST BE FOOD GRADE. Pulls toxins out of your body. I suggest Medi-Clay-FX Research Labs. You can find it on Full Script.
- 1 Tsp activated charcoal: may help remove plaque, is a natural teeth whitener, may remineralize and strengthen teeth. You can find several good brands on Full Script.
- 5-10 drops Concentrated trace mineral liquid. Available on Full Script.
- ~20 Drops Food-grade essential oils: suggestions: peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon, lavender.
- Or 1/4 -1 tsp of peppermint extract.
- Optional: xylitol to improve taste; it may also remineralize teeth.
- Water as needed for texture
Simply mix all the ingredients together (I like doing all of the powders together first) with a non-metal utensil; metal causes bentonite clay to lose its electrical charge. I like to store it in a tiny glass container; I’ve also used old repurposed glass skin cream jars that have been well cleaned.
I’ll be straightforward; it takes a bit to get used to. Remember that toothpaste companies make their products to be addictive and palatable.
Have you ever made your toothpaste? Or do you already use fluoride-free toothpaste; share your favorite brand below.
I have worked for years to develop relationships with brands I trust. Therefore, when using the links in this post, I may receive a small commission at no additional charge. These commissions allow me to provide free information such as this blog and keep my session prices as low as possible. Thank you in advance if you choose to support my small business in this way.