The more I research about fluoride the more I know I need to reduce my exposure to it. I learned from the book “The Fluoride Deception” that research dating back to the 1940’s has shown that fluoride negatively impacts our central nervous system, can reach the brain of a fetus causing hyperactivity (especially in male newborns), reduced IQ, causes confusion, lassitude, and drowsiness.
Workers exposed in cryolite plants had signs of osteosclerosis, immobilizing spinal columns, malformation of knees and hips, nervous disorders, serious stomach problems, chronic skin rashes, hardening of ligaments, pulmonary fibrosis, arthritic and rheumatic afflictions.
Those exposed experienced weakened teeth, yup the very opposite of claims, both in non human animals and humans; Johns Hopkins University found that feeding rats fluoride made their teeth weaker back in 1925. By 1937 Dr Kaj Eli Roholm, once the world leader on fluoride research, had publications on fluoride pollution and poisoning; his work also showed that fluoride actually weakened enamel.
Because only 50% of fluoride is excreted through the kidneys the remaining poison accumulates in bones, the pineal gland, and other tissues (do you have white spots on your teeth? Could be fluoride). Studies show that fluoride accumulation in the pineal gland led to reduced melatonin production and an earlier onset of puberty. Fluoride toxicity has lead to renal and signs of liver damage in Chinese children, even at “low doses”. Remember this poison accumulates so you don’t need a high dose to be impacted, even at low concentrations, it interferes with hydrogen bonding and inhibits numerous enzymes (Maitreyee P. Unde et al 2018). If you aren’t solid on your bio chem, this is a big problem for our health.
In the US, fluoride is still added to the water for this I use a Berkey filter to remove fluoride, bacteria, viruses and more. I also have a shower head that removes fluoride and other contaminants, and my next purchase will be a travel bottle that does the same. I currently live in an apartment however in my next home I’m going to get a full house filter and am considering an under the sink filter for this apartment. There are lots of great products that filter water properly, you can find some of my favorites here.
I looked up the best selling toothpaste on Amazon, which ended up being Crest 3D White Radiant Mint. Let’s look at some of the ingredients:
- Sodium Fluoride: read above for warnings
- Hydrated Silica: can harm the enamel and prevent the re-mineralization
- Disodium Pyrophosphate: according to a 2012 study, phosphates are hazardous; the researchers suggested that all foods containing phosphates should be labeled as dangerous to public health because accumulating phosphates in the body can cause organ calcification in people with renal failure.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: According to EWG: it is linked to cancer, neurotoxicity, organ toxicity, skin irritation and endocrine disruption.
- Flavor: this could be any number of toxic chemicals that cause, high BP, DNA mutations, infertility, tumors and more.
- Cellulose Gum
- Sodium Hydroxide: very corrosive and can cause severe burns in all tissues, may cause organ system toxicity
- Mica: can cause irritation of the eyes and skin. Inhalation can cause wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath as it irritates the mucous membranes lining the lung.
- Titanium Dioxide: According to a 2011 study: in the environment it can cause acute toxicity to aquatic organisms, upon long-term exposure it induces a range of sub-lethal effects. According to EQG: may cause organ system toxicity. The International Agency for Research on Cancer designates it as a carcinogen.
- Blue 1: is derived from coal tar, was the cause of death in at least 12 instances, and is linked to ADHD. may cause organ system toxicity.
There are lots of teeth cleaning products you can purchase that are fluoride free. On my journey to reduce and eliminate plastic products from my life I started making my own toothpaste. The good news it that it is incredibly easy to make, it only takes a few minutes, and it will save you a ton of money as well as waste production.
- 4 Tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted: anti-fungal and anti-bacterial
- 3 Tbsp Natural baking soda: disinfects and whitens. Make sure it is a good quality natural baking soda (not the $0.99 orange box stuff).
- 3 Tbsp Food-grade Bentonite clay: MUST BE FOOD GRADE. Pulls toxins out of your body.
- 1 Tsp activated charcoal: may help remove plaque, is a natural teeth whitener, may remineralize and strengthen teeth.
- 5-10 drops Concentrated trace mineral liquid:
- ~20 Drops Food-grade essential oils: suggestions: peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon, lavender.
- Optional: xylitol to improve taste, it may also remineralize teeth.
- Water as needed for texture
Simply mix all the ingredients together, (I like doing all of the powders together first) with a non-metal utensil, metal causes bentonite clay to lose its electrical charge. I like to store it in a tiny glass container, I’ve also used old repurposed glass skin cream jars that have been well cleaned.
I’ll be straightforward, it takes a little getting used to. Remember that toothpaste companies make their products to be addictive and palatable.
Have you ever made your own toothpaste? Or do you already use a fluoride free toothpaste; share your favorite brand below.
Please note these statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. I am not a doctor or a dentist.