This recipe was originally written by Paige for Vega and appeared on MyVega.com
The temperatures are dropping and you’re likely craving warm comfort foods. Why not turn your favorite indulgent classics into healthy plant-based meals? Each bite of this quiche is a savory masterpiece crafted to satiate and nourish. Regardless if you are feeding a picky family or need a knock out dish for a potluck celebration, this quiche is a filling crowd-pleaser. It may be soy-free, egg-free, and dairy-free, but it certainly isn’t taste-free.
Chickpea flour can be found in the baking section by specialty grain producers. You can also find it as Gram flour in Indian or Pakistani grocery stores. You can also make this quiche in a muffin tin for a portable snack or lunch (or even cut it into bite-sized squares).
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp tamari (or sea salt to taste for a soy free option)
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup carrots cut into small squares
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup small broccoli florets (can use stems)
- 1 cup shredded non-dairy cheese (miyoko’s is my go-to. Or use ½ cup nutritional yeast)
- 1/2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 435F.
- Lightly steam cauliflower then blend until smooth in a blender or food processor with tamari.
- In a large bowl combine cauliflower puree, chickpea flour, turmeric and water. Mix well then set aside.
- In a skillet, sauté onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add carrots and broccoli, and sauté for another minute.
- Add spinach and mix well for 1 to 2 minutes then remove from heat. (Note: don’t cook the vegetables too much as they cook more in the oven)
- Combine the vegetable and flour mixtures with cheese and stir until well incorporated.
- Using 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil grease a glass or ceramic pie or quiche dish. Pour in mixture.
- Place in oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Using a toothpick test to make sure the quiche is fully cooked.
- Serve warm or cold!
Leave a Comment